This page will describe the best practices for implementation learned during previous projects.
- Gather community support for the application.
- Gaining support from elderly women in the village, who are often the decision makers for antenatal practices adopted by their daughters or daughter-in-laws, can be strategic for behavior change and adoption of better antenatal care practices. Demonstrating the app to other members of the community can help create demand for the mobile application and push the ASHA to show the antenatal checklist to all the pregnant women in her village more frequently.
- Recognizing the health workers using the application at the village council level also has positive returns. This can enlighten community leaders and community members about the new technology and special training the health worker has received that is meant to benefit them. This can encourage demand from the community to access information that is a part of the application.
- Be clear about the SIM recharge method.
- Implementers and practitioners should be clear and upfront about recharge schemes associated with new SIMs that are procured, recharge commitments, data submission charges and balance recharge schedules. If something is unclear, they should be proactive about clarifying right away. Confusion in this area can be frustrating for ASHAs, especially if commitments are not withheld.
- Immediately start monitoring after training.
- After initial training, it is important for Project Coordinators to begin using CommCareHQ to monitor CHW performance. Only with use and practice will they able be able to derive information from the available reporting features and use them to support their field-based decision-making. There is a learning curve involved, which can be strengthened in pilot phase to prepare for scale-up.
- Export and clean data from CommCareHQ.
- The data will need to be cleaned slightly after it is exported from CommCareHQ (i.e. remove admin, demo case data, check for duplicate submissions). It is recommended to keep track of this data on a consistent basis to reduce the amount of time it may take to clean-up and organize data in bulk.