Users must be registered with CommConnect before they can receive reminders or SMS surveys. Users can be registered in a variety of ways (a web-based application, in bulk through Excel (Bulk Registration of Contacts). They can also register themselves using SMS.
To register for the system, the user must send the following message, replacing <projectname> with the name of your CommCareHQ project.
This message is sent to one of the SMS backends supported by the project (see Setup SMS Connection for Project). Once a case is registered, its highly recommended that a follow-up survey is sent to capture additional information to identify that phone number (name, etc.). This is described in Send a Welcome Message or Survey.
Configure SMS Registration
- Select the gear button on the top right of the screen. This will take you to project settings. You must a be project admin in order to do this.
- Find the setting "Enable Case Registration Via SMS" and set it to true. The following information needs to be provided:
- SMS Case Registration Type: This the case type that should be created when the user sends the message.
- SMS Case Registration Owner: This is the mobile worker that will own this newly registered case. In some situations, you may need to create a dummy mobile worker for these directly registered cases.
- SMS Case Registration Submitting User: This is the mobile worker that is specified as submitting the registration. The majority of the time, this is a same as the registration owner.
Save the Project Settings once this is complete.
The above configuration will create a person case for the user sheel if a message is sent to one of the SMS gateways configured for the project. Once this is done, its is recommended that additional information is captured about that person by sending a welcome survey.