CommConnect can also be set up to allow users (mobile workers or cases) to initiate interact with the system themselves. For example, a mobile worker may want to register a new beneficiary or a beneficiary may need to request a service or report some information.
This type of functionality is can be setup through SMS Keywords. A mobile worker or case can message the keyword to a CommConnect phone number. This will trigger a form to be run for the user. Some caveats:
- Only known phone numbers can use keywords. To allow users to register themselves in the system, see Enabling Users to Directly Register.
- Mobile worker phone numbers cannot trigger forms that depend on a case. There is no functionality to allow mobile workers to select a case.
To setup the reminder, navigate to www.commcarehq.org/a/<yourprojectname>/reminders. In the left side bar, select "Keywords", then click the "+Add Keyword" button.
- Keyword: This is the word that the user will message to initiate the interaction. Keywords need to be unique within a project.
- Form: This is the form that will run for the user. If you select a form that depends on a case, it will only work for phone numbers associated that case type.
- Answer Method: There are two options here:
- One SMS Per Question: The user will be able to respond to one question at a time and will receive the next question after answering. This is how SMS surveys work for reminders.
- All Questions in One SMS: The user will be able to send a single SMS that answers all questions in the form. This is useful if the user knows all the questions and can easily answer them in a single line. See details below.
Once you've specified the keyword and form, save the keyword.
Set Up All Questions In One SMS (Structured SMS)