This tutorial will walk you through how to use Microsoft Excel to build a simple dashboard using CommCareHQ data exports. By the end of the tutorial you will be able to create a dashboard that:
- Refreshes automatically when you download a new data export from CommCareHQ.
- Allows users to filter the dashboard for information relevant to them.
The final result will contain the following:
A graphical dashboard
Individual pages with data:
User definable filters:
Step 1: Create the data export and download data
- See this page for details on creating the data export: Raw Data
- Be sure to rename your Display columns to how you want them to display in your reports.
- Download your export and save it with the name: "Raw Data.xlsx".
- It is important to choose a name for this file that you will remember. Every time you save a new update it will need to have the same name.
- Your exported data will look like this.
Step 2: Create the Report File
The next step is to create the file that will hold the reports. This is a separate Excel file than your raw data file. This way you can update the raw data without having to change the reports file.
- In Excel, Create a New File.
- Save the file as "Reports.xlsx"