Popular Help Content
This page describes some actions that can be useful for troubleshooting CommCare Android when the application ends up in a bad state.
|Table of Contents|
Force Full Refresh
Due to synchronicity or updates between the server and the phone, the phone can end up with stale or incompatible data. To force a full refresh of the user's data, you can navigate to the Mobile Worker's page on CommCare HQ (Users > Mobile Workers > [your mobile worker]) and under the Actions tab click Force Full Refresh on next Mobile Sync.
For each device the mobile worker is on (including Web Apps), this will make it so the next time they sync that device, it will do a Full Refresh of data instead of an incremental sync. This includes case data and fixture data (including lookup tables).
The Full Refresh operation is generally recognized as safe, and happens automatically during 1-2% of restores, when irregularities are auto-detected. However there are a few caveats to keep in mind:
- A full refresh can sometimes take longer than an incremental sync. For the majority of projects, this is negligible. If your users are able to install the app on their normal internet connection, then this will certainly not be an issue. If however you have a very large case load or very large lookup tables that affects users' ability to install the app from the field, a full refresh may be subject to the same issues.
- Incomplete forms on Web Apps for this user will be deleted the next time they sync.
If in the past you have used User Data Reset, you are strongly encouraged to use this feature instead in those situations.
User Data Reset
Using Force Full Refresh instead whenever possible. If you have no access to CommCareHQ, all data can be wiped locally instead, but it comes with fewer safety checks. Please Note that this can result in some data loss if you have valid unsent forms.
On 2.28 and higher
- Log into CommCare
- Look at the Sync with Server button on the home screen. If it says Unsent Forms click on the button to submit those forms to the server
- When on the CommCare Home Screen, Press the Menu button on your phone and choose the "advanced" option. (On a Samsung or a LAVA, Menu is the bottom left button).
- Press Clear User Data
- You will be returned to the login screen. Re enter your username and password and your user data will be re-synced to the device