CommCare works on two systems- Android Smartphones (CommCareODK) and J2ME/Java/Nokia-style Feature Phones. Here you will find basic guides on how to use these different systems.
Selecting a Phone
- Choosing a Device Type - some issues to consider when deciding what type of platform to use: Feature phone vs Android device, and for Android devices tablet vs phone
- Recommended Phones and Choosing a Phone - some key things to think about when selecting a specific device model, including a list of recommended phones/tablets
Selecting a Mobile Provider
- Solutions for Charging Phones in Areas with Poor Electricity - creative ways to charge up your phones when electricity supply is a problem
- Mobile User contracts - example contracts that can be used when giving phones to mobile users
- Developing procedures for managing phones in your project - guidance and suggestions for developing phone management plans
- Upgrading the CommCare mobile software - instructions for how to upgrade to the most recent version of the CommCare mobile software released by Dimagi
- Updating CommCare application content - instructions for how to update to a new version of the CommCare mobile application content that is designed for your project
Feature Phones (Java/J2ME/Nokia)
Main page: CommCare for Feature Phones
- CommCare for Feature Phones Installation Process - detailed description of the installation process
- 20 - step phone set-up checklist - step-by-step guide for the exact steps to prepare a feature phone and install CommCare on it
- Nokia Phone Permissions - how to set a phone's application permissions so that CommCare can work without causing error messages on the phone (also discussed in the installation guide)
- Java Application Signing (Feature phones)
Android Smartphones (CommCareODK)
- CommCare for Android Smartphones - overview of CommCare ODK (generic user guide)
- CommCareODK Form Management Features - explains the use of saved/incomplete forms
- Phone Setup Guide - information about how to configure an Android phone so it can be easily used with CommCare
- General Installation instructions for CommCare ODK for Android
There are two methods for submitting data collected in low-connectivity areas. Both require a "host" phone that can be brought to an area with good connectivity.
SkillTrain in India-based social enterprise that develops training resources for vocational trainings like mobile phone or other electronics repair. They have videos available on their YouTube channel (in Hindi) that address some basic skills like transferring files between mobile phone and computer, and basic use of smartphones, in addition to advanced mobile repair techniques.