When there are many mobile workers, it can be useful to put them into groups. Here are some common use cases for groups:
- If you have supervisors or staff that will monitor collected data, they may need to only see data of a subset of your Mobile Workers. This can simplify reporting significantly, as you will be able to easily filter by only the group of users you are interested in (see Filter reports by group for more details).
- For example: If you have field level workers that encompass different catchment areas, you may want to organize Mobile Workers based on geographic region or other categories, including health center, mobile health unit or hospital, etc.
- If you are using case sharing, groups are critical to defining who is in a case sharing group.
- You may also want to send SMS/text messages to all members of a group
- You may add Mobile Workers to multiple groups. In other words, Mobile Workers can be in more than one group.
There are two methods for creating and managing groups.
- Manually creating and managing the groups is easy for small projects
- The bulk upload feature is easier for large projects or projects with lots of groups
1. Managing Groups Manually
Navigate to CommCare HQ -> Users -> Application Users: Groups (see image below)
To create a group, type in a name, this will be the name of your group and then click on "+ Add Group" button
You will then see your group configuration page.
You can delete the group by finding the red button at the top right corner of the page.
Adding and Removing Users
From the group configuration page, you can click on the Group Membership dropdown menu to add mobile workers to your group or the ( x ) button to remove mobile workers from your group.
Updating Group Settings
There are several settings that you can configure for each group by clicking on the "Edit Settings" button in the upper left corner:
- Group Name: Here you can change the name of the group
- Case Sharing: determines whether the members of the group will share cases; the default setting is OFF (see Case Sharing for more information)
- Reporting: determines whether the group name will appear in the filter for reports; the default setting is ON
Changes are not immediately reflected in CloudCare
When you make changes to group structure, settings, or fixture data, it can take up to 30 minutes for those changes to be reflected in CloudCare. Changes on the mobile side are not subject to a delay, and should take effect immediately upon syncing with the server. The only exception is if you have checked "enable OTA restore caching" in the application settings (not common).
2. Adding/Removing Users with Bulk Upload
If you have to create a lot of groups or work with a lot of users, it will be easier to use the Bulk Upload feature. For more information on this feature see Managing Mobile Users.
When you download your users Excel file, note that the second tab has a list of all your groups. The key information about each group is the same as the settings above:
- id - the unique CommCare id for the group
- name - the name of the group
- case-sharing? - whether or not case sharing is active (yes/no)
- reporting? - whether or not reporting groups are on (yes/no)
The first tab, where all of the users are listed, can have a column called: group 1
In this column you will list the name of the group to which that user should belong.
When you assign a user to a group you just put the name of the group in the "group 1" column; however that group MUST be listed on the second tab.
If you want to assign users to a new group you need to at least add the group name to the second tab. When you upload the users excel file CommCare will automatically generate the id.
In order to see your new groups in the manual interface you must refresh the page.