Activate DND & Subscribe to CommCareHQ Messages
To activate Do Not Disturb Service: SMS 'START 0' (without quotations, zero) to 1909.
To subscribe to messages from Dimagi, i.e. messages sent from CommCareHQ: SMS 'START to +917760962755'. Not necessary to dial +91, but definitely enter zero before the number.
- New government regulations to reduce spam have made it very difficult to send SMS in India and the gateways are playing catch-up to meet the regulations.
- Anyone can opt into a government maintained do not disturb (DND) list. If they are on this list we can't send them SMS unless they explicitly opt-in
- We should make sure ASHAs we work with / SIMs we procure are not on the DND list or opt in. It's unclear whether being on DND might cause things to change in the future, so I think we prefer them not be on, even if currently being on + opting in is ok.
- In addition to working around the DND list, we have more flexibility if users specifically opt-in to receive SMS from us (details below). If users opt-in we can use a named sender ID (currently DIMAGI, but being changed per field's request to COMCAR), and send between the hours of 9pm and 9am.
- These regulations seem to keep changing and the gateways keep adjusting to fall in line. Dimagi will stay on top of this and respond to changes in regulations and communicate to partners accordingly.
1. Try to ensure all the users aren't on the DND list (they may not know this),.
2. Make sure all the users opt in as part of the initial CommCare training.
To Opt In:
- Have the user send a "START" message to +917760962755. This is a text message with the single word "start" in it.
- (To unsubscribe from the messages, subscriber can send STOP message to +917760962755, although I don't think we'll encourage anyone to do this)
The success and failure auto responses for the Opt-In VN are as following:
- You have successfully opted to receive all messages from Dimagi Inc. To opt out of these messages in the future, please send STOP to +917760962755•
- You have already opted to receive all messages from Dimagi Inc. To opt out of these messages in the future, please send STOP to +917760962755
The amendment released on TRAI Regulation states that a reminder SMS has to be sent every thirty days to all Opt-in Numbers registered.
Please find the TRAI link for your reference [Page 2, Point 6.(d)]
As a part of this requirement we will be required to send monthly reminders to the Opted-In users through the Opt-In account(s). The process for the same has been initiated.