CommCare mobile workers are the accounts people will use to log in on their phones and submit data to your project space. CommCare mobile workers can also log in to CommCareHQ but they will only be able to see the same information on their phone (Your application must be CloudCare-enabled for this to work- see CloudCare).
To manage mobile workers, click on "Users" in the top navigation bar. You will automatically be taken to the Mobile Workers section.
A. Create a CommCare Mobile Worker
1. Navigate to the Manage Mobile Workers page of your CommCareHQ Workspace
CommCareHQ -> Users -> Mobile Workers (the Manage Mobile Workers will show by default)
2. Click on "Create New Mobile Worker"
3. In the Window that pops up, add a username and password, and click "Create"
The username and password you set here will be what the CommCare user uses to log into the phone application.
**Note: All usernames must be in Roman alphabet!
If you have Custom User Data that are required you will also have to add that information at this time.
After pushing "Create Mobile Worker" your new mobile worker has been created; it is NOT necessary to add any additional information unless you choose to.
You can change the First/Last names, E-mail, default language, and role. In general it is only useful to add the First and Last names as you can see these names in reports, in addition to the username.
It is possible to add additional information about your users with Custom User Data, an advanced feature. Additional user information you may want to consider are listed below:
- Mobile Phone IMEI number and Device Model for inventory of the devices handed out to Mobile Workers
- Mobile Worker demographic information such as education, age, literacy for training purposes.
The default language and role are only relevant for mobile workers that are using CloudCare or working on CommCareHQ.
Make sure to add the international code, without any symbols (do NOT add +)
After adding a new number, you will be prompted to verify it. This will send you an SMS to which you must reply.
You can reset the mobile user's password by navigating to the "Password" tab and specifying the new password.
B. Use Bulk Upload to create multiple users at once
This feature requires a CommCare Software Plan
This feature (Bulk User Management) is only available to CommCare users with a Standard Plan or higher. For more details, see the CommCare Software Plan page.
- Navigate to Mobile Users, as above
- Instead of "+ New Mobile Worker" click on "Bulk Upload"
- Follow the three steps indicated to download the user.xlsx file. This contains all of your current user data.
- Press the blue button to upload the completed file.
Sample bulk users excel template:
***user_id will be blank if this is a new mobile worker
- Your first column in excel should say "username", with no spaces. Note that username is required.
- Your second column in excel should say "language". Use the language codes in CommCare, (ex. English = en, French = fra)
- Name and phone number are optional (but recommended!) fields.
- For any new users, the password is required. For existing users that are in the download, the password will be listed as a *********. When uploading the file again, the password for these existing users will not be changed.
- Remember to add the international code to the phone numbers.
- Add a space between the first and last name of your CommCare user. Do not need to use periods or other punctuation to separate.
- Any additional data can be stored by user by adding columns with 'data: xxxx' in the first row of the column. For instance, village, block, etc can be added, and will be stored. For more information, see Custom User Data
- Users can be pre-assigned to groups during bulk upload. To do this, any column needs to have the syntax 'group (xxxx)' in the first row of the column. (Note that the 'xxxx' is any identifier, and is not the group name. To keep things simple, this can be sequential numbering, such as "group 1" then "group 2" and so on.) Any user can be a member of multiple groups of different types by simply adding columns with the correct group syntax. For groups, make sure you define the group on the 'groups' tab of the spreadsheet, and indicate which type of group it is. For more detail see Mobile Worker Groups.
- For groups, make sure you define the group on the 'groups' tab of the spreadsheet, and indicate which type of group it is: There are two types of groups: 1) Reporting groups - these groups users to view by group in the Filters on the Reporting section of HQ. For example, you can group all mobile users within one Village or SubCenter. 2) Case sharing groups - these groups allow cases to be shared by different users. For instance, if two mobile users were sharing the same catchment area, case information could be shared between these two users.
C. Search for Mobile Workers
You can use the search box to find specific mobile workers. Type in any word to search for that term across all columns, or use the syntax below to search in a specific column.
Insert "first_name:" or "last_name" before your search term, e.g.
You can search by the dates date_joined, last_login, e.g.
date_joined:[2011-01-01 TO 2012-01-01]
last_login:[2013-01-01 TO *]
date_joined:[2011-01-01 TO *] AND last_login:[2013-01-01 TO *]
Searching across multiple columns
Searches can be chained using AND and OR, e.g. but AND and OR must be capitalized.
first_name:parker AND last_login:[2012-01-01 TO *]
"*" can be appended to the end of search terms to perform partial searches, e.g.
The above will return any mobile worker whose first name begins with "chris" - e.g. users named Christopher, Christine, Chrissy would all be returned
D. Deactivate (Formerly "Archive") and Delete Mobile Workers
You can unclutter your reports in two different ways. You may either deactivate a user, removing them from the limelight while keeping their data around in the export; or you can delete a user removing all their data permanently.
Deactivate users: This will remove users from the report dashboards, while keeping their data in the export. Deactivate a user by clicking the "deactivate" button on the main Mobile Workers page. Deactivated users will no longer be able to log into a new phone for the first time. (Note that you can deactivate a large number of mobile workers by following the "Bulk deactivation" process below)
If a deactivated user submits a form, the following will occur:
- If your app is using secure submissions (this is a manual change in the settings), deactivated users' new submissions will be rejected and will stay on the phone
- If your app is not using secure submissions (this is the current default) then it behaves as any other submission, and all case transactions are processed
Delete users: This will remove all of the user’s data permanently. Delete a user by clicking on a user's name and navigating to "Permanent Actions". Then press the "Delete Mobile Worker" button and following the directions.
Let's say that while you were testing your app, you created a mobile worker called "test". You might play around with the user and submit a few forms, but none of that data is real so it shouldn't interfere with the real data, and you will never need to use this data again. In this case you may want to delete the user and all their data.
Let's say instead that you have a mobile worker who has submitted some data but who has taken a leave of absence. You do not want them showing up in your reports day-to-day, but you want to keep their data around. Then you would deactivate them.
If you have deactivated users, you can click on the Show Deactivated Users link to display them on the screen. Click on reactivate to start displaying this user's data in the reports once again.
NOTE: Deactivate mobile worker was formerly called Archive mobile worker. When looking for information in the Commcare User's Forum relevant discussions may sometimes be described as "archive"
Deleting Mobile Users: Are you sure you want to do that?
You may notice that we make it a bit difficult to delete mobile workers. This is because if you delete a mobile worker you will also be deleting all data that that worker ever submitted. It is not possible to ever get that information back if you delete a mobile worker. We very very strongly recommend deactivating mobile workers if there is any chance you will ever want to see any of the data submitted by that worker.
Bulk Deactivation of Mobile workers: if you need to deactivate a large number of mobile workers, follow those steps. Please note that this feature requires a paid software plan.
- Go to the User page, click "Bulk upload", click on "download Mobile workers", get to the downloaded excel spreadsheet
- For the workers you want to deactivate, go to the column "is active" and change the value to false.
- Save the Excel file. Re-upload the excel file.
- If you created a subscription just to perform this step, go back to the created subscription and downgrade it back to community
E. Other Important Information
Change or Reset the password for a mobile worker
On HQ, you can change the password for any CommCare user. However, it is important to note that the user login information (username and password) is stored locally on the phone. So, when you change in CommCareHQ, the username and password aren't communicated downward to the phone until the phone "synchronizes with server".
It is not possible to change the username.
On CommCareODK, ''synchronize with server" is an option on the login page and in the CommCare menu on the phone. So, the CommCare user must synchronize with the server for the username and/or password change to reflected on the phone side.
Admin Users (J2ME ONLY)
You can set your own admin password in the 'Applications' tab. The default password is 234.
Follow these steps to customize the password for admin users:
2. Look for 'Admin password.'