Copying an App between Projects on the Same Server
Notes: If you need to copy an application between different project spaces, or to the same project space, see: Copy or Delete an Application
Copying an App between Servers
If you need to transfer an application between servers (for example, if you are a developer running CommCare HQ locally, or have a second instance of CommCare HQ running elsewhere):
- On the server containing the app you want to copy, go to the URL: ADDRESS]/a/[PROJECT NAME]/apps/source/<APP_ID>. For example: https://www.commcarehq.org/a/demo/apps/source/071abeb39a1039df30613c494caa9bc3
- You should see a block of JSON-formatted text. First view source (ctrl-u), then copy the whole thing. (ctrl+a, ctrl+c)
- On the new server, go to the following URL http://[SERVER ADDRESS]/a/[PROJECT NAME]/apps/import_app/.
- Add an application name, and paste the source that you copied into the source box.
- Click "Import Application".
- This will not copy users and groups.
- This will not copy organization structure or levels.
- This will not copy user fields.
- This will not copy lookup tables (aka fixtures).
- This will not copy multimedia from the app. Use the bulk multimedia download/upload to move multimedia.
- This will not copy feature flags, although it will copy over any feature-flagged content in the application (e.g., advanced modules), which may behave unexpectedly if the domain being copied to does not have the correct flags enabled.